CRITERIA FOR 2017 BELLWETHER AWARDS
The content in the application should address the following elements (selection weights are shown in parentheses):
1. The conference theme: (10%)
2. An identified critical issue (10%)
3. The application criteria (80%) as described below:
- Identify the issue or challenge that this leading edge program or activity was designed to address. (20%)
- Describe the process, timeline, participants, and resources required to implement the program or activity. (20%)
- Specify the results and/or impact. (20%)
- Elaborate on lessons learned for colleges considering a replication of this initiative. (20%)
- Optional Video Clip (N/A)
We encourage applicants to submit a video clip that is no longer than 60 seconds, addressing the selection criteria below. However, submitting video is OPTIONAL. The video clip must be uploaded on YouTube (as public or unlisted) and link included in the form in the appropriate filed.
While submitting video is entirely optional, this is a great way to showcase your outstanding program to the higher education community because we will be showing these clips during important sessions including reception. However, we cannot guarantee the showing of video if it is not received in a timely manner and format.
Step One – Announcement and Call for Nominations and/or Applications
Community College Futures Assembly Nominations and/or Applications are announced by September. The announcement and call for nominations and/or Applications are open to all public community colleges.
Step Two – Applications for Bellwether Finalists
To be considered for the Bellwether Awards, a formal application form must be completed and received by the Community College Futures Assembly by 11:59 p.m. on October 19, 2015. Applications MUST be submitted ELECTRONICALLY via the ONLINE form. The Program Summary portion of the application should not exceed 500 words. The applications do NOT need to submit any supplemental material at this stage. To apply, please visit:
Step Three – National Panel of Judges Reviews All Applications
All applications will be sent to the national panel of judges, and they will determine 10 finalists in each category on the basis of selection criteria.
Step Four – Notification to Finalists
The Community College Futures Assembly staff will notify finalists by late – November and invite them to attend the Community College Futures Assembly in January.
Step Five – Attendance Confirmation and Presentation Preparation
The finalists need to confirm their attendance by December 5th. At the same time, attendees should register for the Assembly and make Hotel reservation. College representatives (e.g. trustees, chancellor, presidents) are recommended to attend in showing strong institutional support toward the program.
More instructions about supplemental materials will be provided after attendance is confirmed. A Bellwether Awards webinar will be offered in December to address presentation preparation and related questions.
Step Six – Bellwether Awards Presentation and Award Announcement
The finalists will compete for the Bellwether Award in each category.
A National Panel will review your packet and judge the quality of your presentation during the Assembly. The Bellwether winners will be selected and announced then. The 2017 Bellwether Awards will be presented to the winner in each category over the Bellwether Award luncheon on January 31, 2017.
Timeline for the 2017 Community College Futures Assembly
- September 2, 2016 — Call for Nomination and/or Application open
- October 19, 2016 — Application Due 11:59pm
- October 23, 2016 — Applications sent to judges
- Mid- November, 2016 — Notification of Status to Applicants
- November 23, 2016 — Finalists confirm attendance by 12:00pm
- December 20, 2016 — Last day for Early bird registration
- December 25, 2016 — Hotel reservation cut-off
- January 29, 2017 — Supplemental materials drop-off at the registration table by 12:00pm